Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Leavin' For Lubbock on Monday!

Hello Everybody!

There have been SOOOO many things that have happened this week, I'm going to hardly have time to go over them all! But good news though, I have tons of pictures to send as soon as I get out to Lubbock!!

First I'd just like to say, I'm sorry you got that call from the MTC Health Clinic Mom. I PROMISE everything is okay, I just took a soccer ball to the face during gym time on Wednesday, and the blind spot I had for about 20 minutes after the impact was sitll there in low light. Sister Heward (the wife of one of the members in our Branch Presidency) made me promise to go to the doctor if I woke up on Friday with the blind spot (in low light), and since I did, I felt obligated to do it. Dr. Neilsen at the MTC referred me to an opthamologist, just to make sure everything was alright, and Dr. Meyers (said opthamologist) dialted my left eye and took a look at my optic nerve and retina. The upper left (mirror of the bottom right where my blind spot was) wasn't the normal brownish/pinkish/orange that it should have been, it was kind of white. He called it a mild form of commotio retinae, which would heal on its own (it's just a little bit of sheering injury from the impact of the soccer ball). Missionaries truly are blessed with health! (There are pictures to come of the little bruise I had, and me with Sister Hoover who is the one who got me with the ball! She is such an energetic sass bucket! :D) (And it was way cool to be out of the MTC, as a MISSONARY!! People called me Sister Lagrosa! :D)

Something I've really come to realize this week is the power of prayer. As I've struggled a bit with feelings of inadequacy, among the other usually new missionary feelings, I realized that there truly is so much power in going to hte Lord with all of the desires of your heart. As most of you all know I am really a people person too (which is why I'm so excited to get to Texas soooo bad!), and it's been hard to not have the time I usually spend talking to people, and my roommates seem to get so much mail lol, but I know that there are so many people out there praying for me individually, but also for me as one of the Lord's missionaries!
Also, we kneel so much every day here, my favorite parts of the day are kneeling with my companion after a lesson (even if it wasn't successful at all) and having a prayer of grattitude for our investigator, and for the gifts the Lord has given us.
Sister Metzger (one of our teachers) had us do an activity with prayer that was so powerful. After we talked about some instances of prayer in the scriptures, we identified this patter of preparing to pray, and spending more than five minutes on our knees. After that she had us take a few minutes to write a letter to our Heavenly Father, preparing for a prayer about anything weighing down on our hearts, and then we all got on our knees and prayed. It was so impacting for me to feel my Father in Heaven's love for me with so much strenght, that I've made it a goal for me to follow that pattern (think, write, pray) at least once a week for the rest of my life.
One last thing about prayer I'd like to share is a really uplifiting experience as a zone (our two Lubbock districts) that we had on Thursday. One of the sisters (Sister Scott) going to Lubbock is from Australia, so she has had quite a bit more of an adjustment to the missonary schedule than a lot of us have. During our morning block of classes she passed out on the floor, and started hyperventalating. Two of the elders in her district were able to adminsiter a priesthood blessing for her while another called for the EMTs. She woke up just as the blessing was finished, and she ended up being okay. It was a really emotional expereince for us as a zone, mostly because we didn't know exactly what was wrong, and it was a trial of faith to know that she would be okay. We knelt together as a district and had a prayer together. And then we sang the hymn: "The Spirit of God", and I just started crying the Spirit was there, and it was so strong. After a short testimony meeting, we had some time for personal scripture study about the Atonement, and we shared some of what we learned with our class. I read in John 14, and my calling as a missionary was reaffirmed to me again as I read the words that Christ spoke and understood a little bit more that His power can truly heal us in whatever way we need it.

It seems that during almost every time I have to study the scriptures I am reminded that it is this knowledge that I have that I get to share with others. It's not fair for me to know so deeply that Christ is my Savior, that I not share that with others. Our purpose as missonaries is to: "Invite others to come unto Christ by recieving the restored gospel through, faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." I know this is going to be a difficult calling, but as I've settled in to being Sister Lagrosa, I KNOW with all of my heart that this is the Lord's work, and I cannot let my own reservations keep me from being a bold missonary and do my best to share the gospel with eveyone around me... even if it just by my actions.

I don't have much more time, but I did want to say that it is crazy to think this time next week, I'll be in an area I'll be serving for 12 weeks! In the Lubbock Texas Mission! Something we learned during in-feild orientation is to get to know the ward as soon as possible, so if the Bishop where ever I am agrees, I'll hopefully be able to speak or bear my testimony in sacrament meeting next week!

If you get an opportunity please watch Elder Holland's Mormon Message "God's Work Never Ceases". He loves you!

I know His grace is sufficient for us all.

Love always,
Sister Lagrosa

p.s.  I just want to say Happy Fathers Day! I hope you got my cards, and happy Birthday William! When I get home I"ll be 23! :D

I love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment