Monday, August 12, 2013

The Beginning of Chapter 2 - July 29, 2013

Howdy Family!

Even though I was totally stoked to write you after our Monday night Miracles, guess what!?!? We can e-mail again on Mondays! There is a small public library in the town just South of ours (on the way to Artesia) and we stopped in and they have computers! 

I forgot to talk about a couple things in the last e-mail, there was SO much that happened! But there is this little area of South Dexter called Greenfeild (it's about 3 streets long) and our awesome maps are kind of dated, so we were trying to update them, and we found out that most of it is truly a green field! lol And in our time there we were walking down a street, about to go knock on a trailer's door, and a GIANT St. Bernard busts out from under the trailer... promptly followed by a tiny little chihuahua! Then Sister Johnson was like "Even the dogs have pet dogs here!!" It was really funny... and seriously, there are so many dogs! Down here the "Beware of Dog" signs are noooo joke! But there are a lot of nice dogs too, and Sister Hoover is a good judge of their character haha.

Anyway, this week was pretty great... even though we were dropped by almost all of the amazing people we met last week. It has been a really amazing opportunity for us to keep working hard and focus on the amazing people who have that desire to learn more about the gospel, and work our way to the other little towns in our area (Hagerman and Lake Arthur).

We've been able to bike the few miles it is to Hagerman from our little home in Dexter, but still have not yet had the opportunity to ride back. The first time we got a ride home, and this past Thursday for bike day, Sister Hoover got 2 holes in her back tire, and we got stuck about half way home. Luckily though, a few weeks ago we met a super nice Presbyterian couple when we were lost trying to find another house (did I mention that 1/2 the houses out here have no address on them and the other 1/2 seem to be numbered wrong?), anyway, they were amazing, and we were only about 1/2 a mile away from their home so we were able to catch a ride back because everyone out here has a truck! :D

Since Sister Hoover's tire was flat, we carried her bike, and we kind of felt like Pioneers a little bit because we were just trekking along this country road. This was kind of perfect because Wednesday was pioneer day (the day we celebrate the saints crossing the plains!) and we were all assigned to talk about pioneers during sacrament meeting yesterday! It was really awesome to speak in church, and since we didn't really have too many resources to focus us on the saints who crossed the plains, so we all took our talks in different directions. :) As I was thinking about why the pioneers crossed the plains, or why they describe a lot of converts as modern-day pioneers, I tried to think about what they all have in common. It's pretty simple, it's how much Heavenly Father loves us! The saints crossed the plains because they were listening to a prophet who was called of God, they knew it would be hard, and many gave up everything they had, including their lives to get their families to the West. People all over the world who have learned of Heavenly Father's love, and prayed to know about the truthfulness of this church, have taken action on their faith, followed the example of Jesus Christ, and have been baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority from God. 

I loved having the opportunity to study more about Christ's life, because He pioneered our path back to Heavenly Father. He's given us THE way! I wish I could put my whole talk in here, but a lot of it came from the Gospel of John and 3 Nephi 27. It's amazing how Christ blazed that path for us, that He was the perfect example of having faith in His Heavenly Father's plan, making covenants with Him (even though Jesus was perfect), and enduring to the end, constantly bearing testimony of the His Father in Heaven, and striving hard to serve those around Him as He was called to do! It's kind of cool to think of Christ as our pioneer back to our Heavenly Home huh?

One last thing that really sunk into my heart this week is the power of prayer! President Hinckley said: "Call upon the Lord. He has extended an invitation and He will answer."

I am amazed at the peace and comfort, the blessings and gifts that Heavenly Father wants to give to us if we simply ask Him. I had an experience this past week when I was talking to my Heavenly Father, realizing how imperfect I am as a human, but more so in my calling as a missionary, I really desired to know if this was still what I need to be doing. I asked Him to reaffirm the answer I had received before, because I want to be out here, and I know, or at least at that point, knew that it was right at one point... and I waited... and waited. And then I told Him, that if it wasn't His will for me to continue, even though I want to, even though it's difficult, I trust that He will make me better than I could ever make myself. And I got that answer. It was quiet and peaceful, and I was able to feel again that I'm right where I need to be.

I know that Heavenly Father answers all of our prayers, and that as we take the time to ask Him if the path we are on is correct that He will answer us through the power of the Holy Spirit, which manifests the truth of ALL things. Our Father in Heaven wants us to have peace and joy in this life as we prepare to return to Him again, and there is so much joy to be found here!

The work is moving along here, and I'm so happy to be a missionary!
If you get a chance to, the talk "But if not" is so wonderful, and you should try and take a few minutes to read it.

Love always,

Sister Lagrosa

Picture #1 --> my planner covers!
#2 --> us pioneering!
#3 --> fun at the park during exercise time :D


No comments:

Post a Comment