Monday, January 27, 2014

Lovin' the Land of Enchantmen​t - January 20, 2014

Hello Family and Friends!
 
I love you all so dearly, and I am happy to report another amazing week of miracles and missionary work! The beginning of this new transfer has started with a bang! We have been talking to so many new people, and we have a lot of potential to actually start teaching some families, it's really exciting! :D
 
Being a Sister Missionary I think is quite a different experience than being an Elder, especially out here with the members. It was really nice outside for a couple days this week (nice being nice enough to bike without needing gloves :P), so we went out on our bikes to meet lots of people! We were helping one of our less-active members with really bad back problems clean her house, and her husband came home and asked us why we had the Elder's bike rack on the back of our car (it's attached to a hitch, so it's difficult to take off). When we told him that we bike too, he gave us a disapproving look, and then said "Well, I'd feel more worried about that if I didn't know that this one (pointing to me) was a black belt. haha." I think it's funny that even the people that aren't members worry about the Sister's safety biking around town. But, don't worry, it's not really that bad here, and we don't really bike after dark, and the Elders cover the "sketchy" part of town, so life is good.
 
But yeah, it's been amazing all of the opportunities we have had to teach this week, and do service! Usually people don't take us up on our offers to help them clean, or do anything (but since we're girls, it's usually cleaning lol), but yeah it's great! If missionaries ever knock on your door, and offer you service, take them up on it!!!
 
And, as always every week, I've really learned so much! From the scriptures, from our investigators, and from the amazing members we get to see! One of the highlights of the week was finally being able to meet with Jorge and Serena again! We were able to find a time around Jorge's busy oil field schedule, and it was really amazing. It's incredible the love we are able to feel for the people we talk with as missionaries. My heart just felt full after we spoke with them more about prayer, and reading in the Book of Mormon. When we taught the Restoration, and recited Joseph Smith's first vision (a couple weeks ago), the Spirit was so strong and present just filling the room. Saturday night (when we saw them again), we asked what they had remembered, and they both opened up the pamphlet to the depiction of the first vision. Serena told us she remembered feeling really happy that night, and Jorge said that it was amazing to him to know that someone in our day, "someone in THIS day, who we KNOW actually lived" saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. He said "that's awesome."
 
It's incredible how every week I'm reminded of how truly amazing some of the simplest elements of the gospel are. I'd never appreciated how true it is that Heavenly Father spoke to Joseph Smith in our day, until I felt the Spirit testify to me of the truthfulness of Jorge's words. I knew before that Joseph Smith was called as a prophet, and he did truly see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and restore Christ's church on the earth again today, I wouldn't be out here if I hadn't known that was true, but wow... Jorge's words sank deep into my heart, and I know with all of myself, that that feeling was a witness from the Holy Spirit saying that his words were true.
 
I guess there was a theme for feeling the Spirit this week, because one of the other lessons that stood out to me most was with a less-active member, Alice. We were reading in the Book of Mormon, and we were talking about how we are guided, comforted, and strengthened by the Spirit. She shared some experiences with us about how she personally feels the Spirit in her life, and how when the missionaries come over she feels the Spirit like a comforting hand on her back. It was incredible to be sitting in there and to have it testified to me again that Heavenly Father does listen to and answer our prayers in a way that we, personally can and WILL feel them answered. I know that as we search for truth, for His truth, we will find it, and we will feel the joy and peace that can only come from on high.
 
I hope you all look for this peace throughout your week. I know the world is a loud place, but He hears your voice perfectly.
 
All my love,
Sister Lagrosa
 
pictures:
1- Sister Muaina! Love's nice carpet :P
2- a goofy picture we took before transfers w/ our new ward missionary Sister Cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment