Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Chapter 8: "Come Back To Texas!" - April 7, 2014

Howdy howdy beloved family and friends!
 
I'm headed back to Texas, it's true, it's just not been the same since I went away! Lol. But yeah, I'm headed to Midland of all places!! I'll be in a different ward than I was last time, but, I'll be back in the same city! How neat, right? It feels a little like I'm leaving home for the first time... I know the Lord has prepared me for this next step, but I've just grown to love the people here so much, and it seems so weird that I'm leaving in the next couple of days! So. weird. ...even weirder that I'm leaving my first brown companion Sister Muaina! (I forgot what it's like to change companions every 6 weeks!) ... but I know that she'll take good care of Hobbs, and that Hobbs will be good to her. :D
 
So highlights of the week... basically everything is shadowed by general conference-- even riding our bikes in 20 mph winds! (True story). But yeah, we really learned a lot about trusting Heavenly Father's timing, and we did a lot of good service this week. :) And to top it all off, Justin came teaching with us! He is so cool, and I'm excited to come back to Hobbs for his baptism next year! :)
 
But, yes Conference was amazing! I loved the very first talk given by Elder Holland, on discipleship, and just the theme of keeping your covenants, remembering the power of the Atonement, and having a heart and attitude of charity and gratitude. So. Amazing. Two of my favorite notes I wrote down was: "All the easy stuff has been accomplished" and "The cost of discipleship is obedience."
 
I thought to myself man... life is not easy, but you're telling me all the easy stuff has already been accomplished!?! Then I remembered that our trials build us to receive a deeper understanding of our blessings, as well as strength to continue in patience and diligence to the future, more humbling and difficult trials we will face. Learning isn't always an answer to a question, it's sometimes just a deeper understanding of something simple, like Heavenly Father's infinite love. :)
 
That built on the next thing that really stood out to me in conference... Jesus Christ really lived His life in a truly charitable way. He wasn't all "pats on the head and go skip and pick flowers", but He was firm, and filled with love and kindness, while he instructed us sincerely. He told us the two great commandments: 1- to love God, 2- love your neighbor. and He told us HOW to love: "If ye love me keep my commandments". When we are saved by His infinite grace, on a daily basis, our love for Him and our Heavenly Father shows in our actions. Thus, He can be our perfect judge, reviewing the desires of our hearts and our works we show from those desires.
 
Faith is the power
Love is the motive
Obedience is the price
The Spirit is the key
Christ is the reason
 
That 5-line statement I discovered a few weeks ago on my companion's wall next to her study desk... if there is one thing I've learned out here as a missionary, it's that this is really just boot-camp for actually living a Christian life... and I hope to carry that little saying with me through the rest of my life. I am powered by faith, that's why I need to grow it every day; I feel motivated by love, as I continue to try and become like my Savior every day; I need to make sacrifices to be obedient to the Lord's commandments, knowing His ways are better than mine as I lean unto His understanding; The Spirit is the key to everything, He testifies of truth, softens hearts, and is the teacher as we bear testimony; and our Savior Jesus Christ, He is the reason for everything! Without Him, we would be lost, and Heavenly Father's great plan for us would not have been able to come to pass.
 
Truth is out there, truth is simple, and truth is the gospel. Christ proclaimed Himself: "I am the way the truth and the life." All truth testifies of Him, His sacrifice, and His resurrection. I know He lives, and loves me, and I know the fullness of His gospel has been restored to the earth today. I very much enjoyed Elder Marcos A. Aidukaitis' talk about finding truth, and how we shouldn't "roam through garbage" :)
 
I hope you all get a chance this week to find some truth, or even a deeper understanding of it. Keep your eyes and ears open, but more importantly your hearts, spiritual truth is spiritually discerned, and we all have perfect spirits that are in great need of nourishment.
 
I love you all!
 
With all my heart,
Sister Lagrosa
 
1- Our goofy district <3
2- Love this kid SO much! S. Muaina and Me and Justin!
3- Our best friends Buddy, and Bro. S.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment