Wednesday, June 18, 2014

"I will goooooo, I will dooooooo!!​" - June 16, 2014

Howdy howdy my dearest family and friends!!

It has been quite the week! Lots of adventure, and lots of amazing miracles! I've been learning the primary songs, I'm pretty sure having a limited amount of musical variety has helped me increase in my child-age learning while I've been out here, and it's really re-established some of the awesome (and less-overtly Christian songs) that have stuck with me too (shout out to the Rocket Summer) :P

But yeah, lots and lots of goodness is happening in the world, and I've learned a lot of lessons this week! I struggled for a couple weeks with getting a lot out of my scripture study in the morning... which is pretty normal, scriptures aren't that easy to read, but, I've recently re-incorporated using the 12-step program to guide some of my studies, and it has been AMAZING!

Some of my new favorite verses are in 1Thess 5:16-18! And, as a cherry on top of this spiritually amazing ice cream sundae of spirit-filled-edifying studies, I got a shirt last week at Mardel (a Baptist-Christian Book Store) that says "Work Hard, Pray Hard" with those verses as the scripture reference on it too! (Completely unplanned, by the way!) Gotta love the tender mercies of the Lord. :) I also got an awesome shirt that says "You need Jesus. I'm just saying."

So moral of the story here: The scriptures are the best, and Christian t-shirts are hilarious... especially when you're a missionary, and the only time you get to wear them is when you're sleeping :P

But there was so much other goodness that happened this week too! We had some visits with a couple different members that haven't been able to make it to church lately, and we had an exceptionally amazing experience with one of them who has been sick for quite some time. She told us her story of how she came to be so sick, and I was really humbled by her story, and her humility. When she then told us she is now on some very borrowed time, all three of us were crying together. Through all of this beautiful woman's amazing words, tow things she said stood out to me: "...and the worst part is I can't make it to church!" and "I just don't want to become bitter."

After listening to just a brief part of her journey, it was sobering to hear her say that the thing she was most sad about was not being able to make it to her Sunday meetings, even though there was sadness in her story, she spoke with hope, and truth, and I felt a little more humbled (because I'm not sure if I've taken for granted the edification I've been receiving from being able to attend 5 hours of church each week).... and then to imagine this woman ever becoming bitter! That was the furthest thing from my mind while she was speaking with us... We read together from Moroni 7, where it talks about good and bitter fountains, and I really like the imagery of running water to describe us as individuals, because we have to be running/in motion to progress, and grow. And as long as we are searching out those fruits of the Spirit, and learning how to receive direction and guidance from the Holy Ghost, no matter how many times we have received answers... to just continue to listen and press forward, we will be a good fountain, producing that good water.

We also met a young woman who will hopefully be attending the YSA branch with us soon, and she's been on her own getting to church the last two years! This was amazing to me, because... I know, even though I went 'on my own' for... well always, and that church isn't the only way you can grow your faith, I had a some diligent friends that made sure I was doing alright when I didn't make it! She's been continuing to grow in those simple ways, church, prayer, scripture study, without that intense support for a good long time, and we're hoping the YSA will be a great tight-knit church family for her. :)

I've really grown in my testimony this week that we all have our own very specific trials that give us the opportunity to come closer to Heavenly Father, and I am SO grateful for them. Generally, not exactly while they are happening, but The Lord's giving me a lot of opportunity to continue to grow with that one, testing my faith on the daily! ;)

I know His plan is perfect, and simple, and even though I don't understand everything, it is good, and I know He loves me. His love is what life is all about. :)

I Thess 5:16-18

With all of my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa

Okay, This is classic Sister Lagrosa putting food up here, but this was a PRIME gormet sandwich! :D

​We found this really sweet Cruella DeVil limo while we were driving to a member's house in Odessa, we also found some Zebras!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment