Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Chapter 10: "Keepin' it Awkward!" - June 23, 2014

Hello my dearest family and friends!

Since we are getting a new mission President next week, my 10th transfer started a little early, and good news: I get to have 7 more weeks here in the beautiful city of Midland (and Odessa :P), and 7 more weeks with my awesome twin sister-companion Sister Hoover! I told her she's REALLY lucky, because no one ever gets to spend this much time with me, namely due to the fact I usually can't stay in one place for too long :P I also told her she's definitely never getting rid of me, because to have me for 6 of the 14 months of missionary time I've had with 13 companions is kind of a big deal! I know without a doubt, if I was on Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa's plan, I would not have stayed in one place so consistently, I think it's amazing how the Lord really helps us to grow and stretch the different comfort zones we have. :D Anyway, I'm excited for even more miracles here, working more and more with the members to further the work, and keep being and loving my awkward missionary self! hahaha

Speaking of my awkward self, I thought that I'd put a sky picture with me in it, because well, I'm nice to look at, and Sister Hoover brought up a good point: "Your family doesn't care about pictures of the sky if you aren't in them!"​

Oh, man, so back to a little bit of serious-ness, this week was really amazing. People keep telling me I'm an old missionary (which makes me double old, because I'm a year graduated from college too!)... so I've been thinking about how I've been learning and growing over the past year, and two ideas came to my mind: 1st- wow this would be horrible if I'd not decided for myself to come out here! and 2nd- How could anyone go on a mission and not expect to change?

So, don't freak out about this being a horrible experience, because it totally is the opposite of that. A lot of life, and how you feel about it is based on perspective (this is true in any psychology study, but more true, and true first and foremost with the gospel--remember Job right?). So, the reason we should be doing anything in life is to grow right? Whether we are helping ourselves grow, or helping those around us to grow, we should be moving forward, and out here as a missionary, it's super structured (which is my favorite!), and all the growing we do is more easily recognized as the Lord's timing and not Sister Lagrosa's. It's really humbling, because out here, even though I'm comfortably in my own country, speaking my native tongue, etc. I still have very little control over what's happening in my life, and many days we go out, not knowing beforehand exactly what we are going to do...

If any of you know me too well, you know I'm good with change, I thrive in it, but, I like to have a game plan and a little bit of sight to know what's going on so I can be prepared for what's going to come... but I'm learning so much more out here how to trust in the Lord, knowing that He's got my back, and He's already paved a perfect path for me to follow.

One of the greatest things I've enjoyed as a missionary is the increase in love that we get to feel! I love love, all kinds of love, because everything is centered on Heavenly Father's love for us, and I know that's how I've learned my entire life. And this principle of love really came out this week, especially when we were talking with a family about how they can share the gospel more easily with their friends, and not have to feel weird about it.

We sat down with the family and Sister G described how she was having a conversation, and someone asked her a question, and then her mind went blank! I laughed a little because it reminded me of when I was visiting with my Aunt in Boston before my mission, and she asked me some questions about the gospel, and what I believe, really casually, but I just didn't know what to say... I mean I knew the answers, but I couldn't really talk good, nevertheless well, and I thought to myself wow... I'm going to be a terrible missionary! (don't worry, I'm better at talking now ;P)It's hard to share something that means so much to you and trust someone else to receive it, and care about it the same way you do. Or it could be awkward if there is a misunderstanding... there's so many things that can go wrong!

So to kind of get over a few anxieties, we role-played a casual conversation, I asked her about the Book of Mormon... if it was another bible (that misconception comes up a lot), and Sister G got a little tripped up on her words. So we paused and I asked her how she felt-- anxious, naturally. So I asked her how she felt about the friend she was talking with (the woman I was role-playing), and she said: "I like her, I mean, we're friends!" After a deep breath, we felt a little less anxiety, and then I asked her how she felt about the Book of Mormon. Tears came to her eyes as she described how the Spirit has testified to her of its truth and how it's changed her life, and helped her to understand her Savior, Jesus Christ better... I know if I wrote the words she said it wouldn't do justice for the love that was felt in that room as she spoke...

But that, that was amazing.

And I know that is exactly what this work is all about out here. The Book of Mormon is the word of God, beyond everything else, it helps us to know Jesus Christ better, and understand His redeeming sacrifice for us. It's really bold that I can say, because I know that book is true, I know that Joseph Smith was called to be a prophet of God, and through him, Jesus Christ Himself, restored His church to the earth in the exact same organization He had when He organized it on the earth. I know we aren't out here as missionaries to take anyone's faith away, or say that no one else has truth, but it is a very bold claim to say that we honestly do have the fullness of His truth here on the earth today. God is a God of miracles, I mean, He works with imperfect people everyday, it's not too hard to believe right?

Instead of a scripture this week, check out this song from EFY 2011: "Hard to Doubt" (you won't be disappointed:)

With all my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa

Awesomely awkward district picture... don't worry, it only looks like I'm punching Sister Hoover :P

No comments:

Post a Comment