Monday, November 18, 2013

Howdy, Howdy! - November 18, 2013

Hello Family and Friends!
 
I love you all so much, and we had such an exciting week here in the big city of Monahans! ... well, we had some time in Midland (which I STILL love!), because we had a Zone Conference there with all the missionaries in the Midland and Odessa Zones here, and it was WONDERFUL!
 
Some funny stories really quick though!
1- I actually enjoyed steak this week! It's not usually my favorite, but something about how they cook it here in Texas is pretty delicious. :)
2- We knocked on a woman's door this week, and she was eating a bag of hot fries, and she told us that her diet helped her lose 30 pounds! We asked her what her secret was, and she shook her bag and said "Cheetos! I just eat two of these a day, and boom, I'm 30 pounds lighter!" It was pretty great, and she wants us to come back and talk to her more about the gospel, so we're excited!
3- WalMart! Okay, so, I haven't been to WalMart in over a month... and we were allowed to go on our way back from Zone Conference, and OH MY GOODNESS! I never thought I'd feel like I was in a crowd at the store, but shoot dang, I can tell I'm in a small town again, because it was so weird!
4- Dishwasher. So I don't remember the last time I used a dishwasher, because I didn't have one in college, and I've never used one so far on my mission, and I started the dishwasher for the first time in like 4 or 5 years today! ... I think I'm gonna have to stick to hand washing... :P
 
 So now for the good stuff!
 
The main focus of the conference for us was teaching simply, and with clarity. President Augustin testified again and again how the basics are the most important. And the restored truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ are simple, we can teach them simply and they can be understood without getting a doctorate in theology. :P
 
It actually went along really well with some things that have stood out to me in personal study this week as I was reading in Preach My Gospel, and the scriptures.
I found a quote:
"True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior."
  
I laughed a little to myself when I read this and thought of my future professional aspirations, but I'm not gonna lie, everything that I've read in a study about positive thinking, the best way to learn, etc. has gospel truths in it!
 
Like thinking positively! I realized this past week, that in the scriptures, whenever a prophet is talking about how great the trials and afflictions are (either their own personal ones, familial ones, or just of their people as a whole), when they say "however" or "nevertheless" and acknowledge the Lord's hand in helping them through their afflictions, things always seem to get better!
 
And that is simply because Heavenly Father loves us so much! He wants to hear from us in prayer, and He wants to give us guidance, not only to make correct choices, but the BEST choices. And He will always answer when we ask, He will always help us grow from our trials, and He will never ever leave us. As we search for His hand, we will find it, and I know that He is filled with joy when we are able to take some time to express our love and appreciation for Him in our lives.
 
It's great being a missionary! And I love the simple precious truths of the gospel!
 
2Nephi 4:26-35 is just one amazing example of how turning to the Lord can bring peace to a troubled soul. :)
 
I love you all!
 
<3 Sister Lagrosa
 
pictures!
4- Chalked the wall at the Million Barrel Museum. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment