Monday, November 4, 2013

The Happiest Halloween! - November 4, 2013

Howdy Family and Friends!
 
So this week was exceptionally eventful, and uneventful at the same time haha.
We had some amazing experiences this week both in Monahans and mission wide!
 
I think the highlight of the week is that we were able to attend the temple on Halloween! It was so incredible, and was a great reminder to me about why I'm out here on a mission. The Spirit there, was beyond description, and the simple hope that comes from the gospel was reaffirmed to me once again. It is so great to know that the temple truly is the Lord's house here on earth, and the peace that we feel in there as we learn and grow closer to our Heavenly Father is something that cannot be duplicated by any earthly means.
 
This week, Sister Rose and I were a little sick, so sadly we weren't able to get out and work as much as we had wanted to, but, we were able to take some extra time for studies as we took turns sleeping. Something that really has stood out to me - from being sick, some letters I recieved, studies, visiting the people we were able to, and going to the temple this week- is humility.
 
I think I've mentioned a few times how amazed I am by the people that we meet out here as missionaries. As I'm taking this short time to serve the Lord, I've realized that I'm being stretched and growing more I think than I am aiding others to grow sometimes. On Sunday a woman went up to bear her testimony about how she has always found comfort in the Lord, and she said that "we are all only here for a short time and then we get to go home." She was talking about this short time we have here on earth, and the joy we will be able to feel as we return home to our Heavenly Father, but it made me think about how short of a time missionary service is.
 
These song lyrics were brought to my rememberance: "I'm old enough to know that time doesn' t move slow enough, but I'm yound enough to know that I can't ever be too old enough to trust you."
 
This week has really just reminded me of how much trust we need to have in Heavenly Father. In His plan, His timing, and the Atonement of His Son.
 
In the Book of Ether in the Book of Mormon, Chapter 3, The Brother of Jared (the spiritual leader of these people at the time) is praying to God for guidance and direction in the next steps that he is to take to help out his family. In verse 5 he states:
 
"...we know that thou art able to show forth great power, which looks small unto the understnding of men."
 
I stopped and thought about that for a solid 5 minutes when I came to that scripture. I thought about how I, Sister Lagrosa, could overlook the great power God shows in my life. I thought about how often I say "There's a miracle!" or "My God is a great God!" and I thought about how sometimes I do overlook the small details that Heavenly Father so clearly takes care of for me every day.
 
I thought about a talk given in general conference, where one of the apostles of the Lord promised that, as we are obedient to God's commandments we can be able to look through spiritual eyes, and have a better understanding of the Lord's hand in our lives.
 
As we have meet with some of our investigators this week, I've been amazed at their great faith, and hope in the Lord. The humble steps they have taken in their lives to get to where they are now, and their confidence in the steps they will be taking in the future as they are preparing to make those importnat covenants with their loving Heavenly Father.
 
I think we can all use a little more humility, and I know that He knows just what trials we need to be humbled in our lives. I'm grateful for the support of family and friends as I'm out here in the TLM! I know that I have grown in strides because of the seemingly small examples that I've had in my life, and I am grateful, that as I grow, even a little, in the understanding of my Father in Heaven, that I can see the greatness in those seemingly small instnaces.
 
I love you!
~Sister Lagrosa
 
p.s. I'll have to send pictures next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment