Monday, December 2, 2013

Ch. 5: Back to the Land of Enchantmen​t! - December 2, 2013

Howdy Howdy family and friends!
 
So, transfer calls came in Saturday night, and it looks like I'm headed back to the Land of Enchantment! :D
 
I'm going to the big city of Hobbes, New Mexico! I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father knows I need to change time zones at least once every 3 months, because I think a pattern is forming! :P
 
I'm excited to be serving with Sister Plante! We were together in the MTC, and Sister Augustin said "You two are going to tear it up down there!" Also, she's a new Sister Training Leader (STL), so we'll be traveling to do exchanges!
 
It's definately going to be SO WEIRD 1- being in a companionship with just one other missionary (because I've been in a trio for the last 6 months!) and 2- being back in the city again, but I'm sure I'll be adjusted by Friday, and hopefully, have a less stressful Wal-mart experience next Monday :P
 
So many changes have happened this past week! Today I'm celebrating 6 years of sobriety! And this past Wednesday we celebrated my birthday by having an AWESOME day of missionary work (more on that later), and then we had a day off for Thanksgiving, and we decided to run our own 5K at the track by the high school down the street. :) Also... funny news-- I found my first grey hair! ... no joke, it was the day before I turned 22. Part of me was thinking "OH MY GOSH!! I"M TOO YOUNG!" ... but more of me thought: "Sweeeet, one step closer to my silver dreadlocks I'm going to have one day!" :P (don't worry... it's a ways off ;)
 
This week really was so great- even though it was a little weird because we were inside a lot, but when we were able to get out and work, it was amazing! :D
 
On my birthday we had some GREAT lessons with investigators and members. We sat down with a grandmother- Betsy, and shared the Plan of Salvation with her, and talked to her about the hope that comes from the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Her faith is so strong, and I was humbled by some of the experiences she was able to share with us. :) We were also able to share with her more about the hope that comes from the addiction recovery program- after she shared with us some of the trials that a few of her children are facing. As we were leaving she mentioned how she wanted to introduce her to her son, after gently pulling me into an embrace she explained it's because she really wants him to marry a nice Christian girl! But, hopefully Sisters Hymas and Rose will be able to continue teaching their family, even without any promises of marriage. :P
 
We saw miracles this weekend when literally 3 hours of appointments feel through in about 15 minutes, and we didn't know what to do! Thankfully, prayer and promptings of the Spirit are more helpful than pen and paper, and we were led to Yolanda's house. It was really the perfect time to see her, because she was feeling vey depressed- feeling that her trials were a punishment from Heavenly Father. Thankfully we were able to talk with her, even though it didn't seem to make that much of a difference. But we prayed with her, and were able to commit her to pray for herself and ask her Father in Heaven if He loved her. She said she would, and we made an appointment to return on Sunday. When we got back, she was so different! Still, she was feeling a lot of pain, but somehow she found her trust in God again. We read with her "Broken Things to Mend", and talked about how sometimes we are compelled to humility so we can learn how to rely on our Savior more. It was amazing, and the Spirit was so strong-- especially when she gave the closing prayer at the end of the lesson.
 
It really was just such a good week, full of teaching, and miracles. I was able to bear my testimony in church yesterday- because it was fast and testimony Sunday. I really felt so humbled standing up there in front of the wonderful people I've been serving the past 6 weeks, and I was just so grateful for the opportunity I have out here to be a missionary, set apart from the world, and help other build their faith in Jesus Christ. It's amazing to me how Heavenly Father builds those who are in His service, and I loved looking out to the congregation and just seeing their lights shining so bright. I love that we all have the light of Christ inside of us, and as we come to know Him better, and do as He did and glorify our Father in Heaven, that light will continue to shine brighter and brighter.
 
I love this work! I love that Heavenly Father allows His perfect work to go forward through imperfect people like myself, like anyone else here on this earth. I know that He builds us line upon line, and that by small and simple things great things come to pass. I'm humbled to know that everything I am, and everything I have is a blessing from my perfect Father in Heaven. He's given me trials to grow, strengths to be grateful for, and opportunities to learn. I know that this is His true church, and He loves us so much that we are lead by a prophet of God today on the earth. President Thomas S. Monson, who testifies of Jesus Christ, just as the prophets of old did. We are so blessed to be able to know our Savior Jesus Christ, and to be strengthened by Him!
 
I'm most grateful for the ability to love. In the Bible it says that God is love. And I know that it is a blessing to be able to feel the joy and peace that comes from loving the imperfect people around us. I love my family, and I'm so thankful to have them in my life!

I hope you all have a great week, and next week you'll hear from me in Hobbes! :D
 
All my love,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa
 
Pictures:
1- BIRTHDAY CAKE! :D (made by sister Rose!)
2- We made a pumpkin pie! --> and re-learned to not put cool whip on a hot pie :P
3- Awkward District Picture :P
 
 
 


 
 
1- Playing Dominos on Transfer Call Night
2- Basically Me and Sister Hymas' relationship in a Picture :P
3- Sister Rose, the missionary, the LEGEND
4- SUNSET!
5- Birthday picture next to the Monhans sign at the tracks! :D 
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment