Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"I'm here to change the world!" - June 30, 2014

Hello there my dearest family and friends!

I hope this finds you well today, and that you were all able to find time to enjoy that excellent song last week! :D

This past week was pretty excellent! President and Sister Augustin departed, and now we have President and Sister Heap here in the mission, and we are hoping we will be able to meet them this week! There is really a lot to look forward to, and I can't believe the time has passed so quickly! July 4th is coming again, and Sister Hoover and I will be together again! She's something else! :P
This week, while we were working in the YSA branch, we were talking to a lees-active member about how important reading the scriptures is. And everyone has wicked crazy oil-field schedules down here, so he said "I don't even have time to read the back of a cereal box!" So we put a chapter from Alma, and pictures of Christ all over a cereal box for him to read during breakfast. :)

Sadly, that's the only picture I have from the week haha. But all is well!

So, if you were wondering where the quote titling my e-mail comes from today, it's from Tanya (who was baptized almost 2 months ago). :D She's gotten a calling to be a visiting teacher (where women from the church go visit other women, to make sure they are doing okay, and provide some spiritual upliftment regularly), and she was really excited! She said: "I'm here to change the world you know!" with the greatest I'm-new-here-and-it's-going-to-be-awesome! attitude!! That woman inspires me on the daily.

With all of the excitement that was happening this week, I'm not sure how to organize all of the fun things I want to share, so I'll be resorting to a list this week ;)

1- Flash Floods! --> the ground doesn't know what to do with the water when it rains here, and I forgot to write about this last week, but we had a HUGE downpour, and a lot of overcast clouds lately, and it's been really cool, but driving on the road-rivers is crazy!

2- Packages --> So I we thought my Easter package got lost in the mail, but it turns out that I got it, but it was in our apartment building's office! So, even thought it was late... it came at the perfect time, because Sister Hoover really needed the ENTIRE jar of nutella that was in it. hahaha.

3- Prayer, Love and the Spirit! --> I know I've sent this line home before but, it stood out to me again this week: "There are only two kinds of people in the world, those you love, and those you don't know yet!"

With the simultaneous change and consistency that's been happening lately, I've been learning a lot more about prayer, and how to make it more meaningful to building my personal relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I've also been thinking a lot more about love, especially charity, the pure love of Christ, and how that plays the ultimate role in the work I do as a missionary. And with all of this, I've been really pondering and searching deeper for myself on how I can listen to the Spirit, testify of truth, give me guidance, and comfort/build me when I need it most. It's really amazing how these things work together to help me grow, and give me things to personally work on as I try to help others take steps forward as well... The Lord's work never ceases to amaze me, and the converting power to the Holy Ghost is truly incredible!

I'm really, really happy to be here, and I think it's so crazy that we hit our 13-months this week! It feels like yesterday I was walking around BYU campus in a cap and gown for graduation... feeling like it was forever until I could get out here! It's amazing how time flies!!! I've got some great goals though, and a LOT more to accomplish in the next few months that I have... I don't know if anything, or any time will ever feel as important or urgent in my life here on earth. I hope it does, but it's humbling and amazing how we can be consumed in the Lord's work, and the effect His hand has in the lives of everyone I see!

My scripture of awesomeness for the day: (this takes place when there are missionaries (Alma and the sons of Mosiah) that meet up after their missions, and they are best friends that haven't seen each other in a very long time)
Alma 17:2 "Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time [of his conversion]; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding, and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God."

This hit me like a freight-train this week, because, we really are building eternal relationships while we are here on this earth, and I know that everyone I'm blessed to meet, and even more blessed to become friends with... I'll rejoice exceedingly when I get to see them again, it's a given. But the even greater joy comes when we see the progress each of us has made. I know I've had a lot of amazing individuals and families help me through different parts of my conversion, and I'm really glad that we are all able to continue to grow, and learn, especially from studying the word of God! :D

I love you all, and I hope find joy in this coming week!

With all my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa :D

No comments:

Post a Comment