Thursday, October 16, 2014

"Do I have to serve a mission?" - October 14, 2014

Howdy howdy my lovely family and friends!

Happy post-Columbus-day e-mail! :D The library was closed yesterday, so we get to e-mail today. It's been quite a week! ...not as eventful as last week, but filled with lots of insight and learning. :) The highlights of it consisted on some really amazing insights on relationships from one of the members of our mission presidency, seeing the relief society in action, and finding strength in weaknesses. (And of course, the title of this e-mail :P)

President Loveitt, of the TLM mission presidency came to Childress this weekend and talked with Sister Carroll and I a little about our area, and our companionship. He and his wife are just two amazing people, and it was a pleasure to be around them! As they gave us a little instruction on companionship communication, he applied a scripture in a way that I had never thought of before. (Ether 12:27) He said, "Just remember your purpose isn't to point out each other's weaknesses, the Lord does that for us as we draw closer to Him, but you are here to make each other happy." I love it when people tell you something you already knew, but they remind you that it's important to remember. :P There's a balance in our growing process, it's not always comfortable, but you can find peace in your afflictions, through the grace of our Savior Jesus Christ. I personally think that the happiness we are able to share with each other comes from moving in the same direction of growth, looking forward to the positive. That was a nice little gem I think I'll hang on to for awhile... or forever, :P

A woman we met a couple weeks ago, Dorthy, had her daughter give birth to her newest grandchild this week! We were talking on the phone with her and had an idea to ask the relief society to make her family dinner, and then called our wonderful relief society president, and it was done! I love it when people actually mean it when they tell you "If you need anything ask me!" And I love that, with how the church is organized there is always someone to call to take care of a need, like dinner for a hungry family. :)

My testimony that the Lord shows us our weaknesses as we draw closer to him has increased greatly, haha. This week I've been pretty humbled by my asthma. I think I might be too allergic to these white fields! :P haha, but the struggle has been real, trying to breathe lately, and with the seasons changing, and temperature going up and down, I think my lungs just went into a little rebellion haha. So that was interesting, but as always, weaknesses are made strengths. I was told by Sister Heap (the mission president's wife) that I'm not allowed to run in the morning until I can breathe better, so I've been learning patience, and I've had a little more time in the morning to read my scriptures... I'll let you know what I learn, when we get there, I'm still in processes being made strong with this one I think, ;P

And last but not least, the title of this week! :D 
So we had a lesson with Danny-boy last night, we've been teaching him for about 10 weeks, and he's all set up for baptism on Sunday, and as we were planning his service, he asked: "...So what happens after this? After I get baptized... Do I have to serve a mission?" Oh man, it was the best question ever! Simply, because, Danny's already the best missionary ever, and he's been through it all and back again, already receiving some discrimination for being "Mormon", and I have no doubt that he would still be getting baptized on Sunday if we had said: "Yes, you must go on a mission!" haha but, just the very sincere humility that man has never ceases to amaze me. It's really not fair how much we are able to learn from those we are called to teach out here.
 
And I have no doubt Christ's restored gospel, the good news we are called to teach, is the absolute truth. I know it, I'm trying to live it, and I love it! Every day.

With all my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa

Pictures:
1- Awkward District meeting pictures are the best :) (and I'm still the shortest!) :P
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment