Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Here's my heart. - September 29, 2014

Hello Hello my beautiful family and friends!

I hope this e-mail finds you as well as I am doing this fine, fine day! Wow, there is just SO much that happens every week, it's crazy!! I love it so much! It's just really amazing to see how the Lord's work really WORKS! hahahaha This week was humbling and full of learning and teaching, and I think excitement for General Conference is part of it, but I'm just feeling especially jovial today. :)

We had dinner this week with the true pioneers of this beautiful Childress branch! The Wyatt's! They are really something else, we got to hear about how everything started with them trying to start the children's program (primary) for their kids, and then after some period of years, they were able to have church, and their meetings were in the Wyatt's home! It's humbling to hear these pioneers stories, and how everything progressed, and the trials that were faced as these amazing people got the church going here! It is true that the Lord gives us 100x back whatever the sacrifices that we make, and I feel really blessed to be here 3 generations later helping the work progress even more.

With that fun fact, we had our general women's broadcast this week! It was INCREDIBLE!! :D Our little branch is so amazing, we had two families with 4 generations of sisters in that room! Something that stood out to me in the broadcast, besides my joy in thinking about returning to the temple again, was when Sister Marriott encouraged all the primary aged young girls to remind their parents to pray! :) I thought to myself: Well, I'm 6.5 years old... I'm in primary! I've gotta remind my parents to pray on Monday! :D haha so this is a reminder to all you parents out there, Pray! <3 your 6.5 year old little buddy Sister Lagrosa :)

Also this week we've been extremely blessed to have found quite a few new people to teach from all walks of life, one woman preparing to go to rehab, to a man who has been a Pentecostal preacher! It's interesting to feel how the Spirit works with each of the people we talk to, and with, and how true it is the promise that if we are seeking truth we will find it! 

I discovered this week that citing sources in not only something you need to do in long research papers or if you're writing journal articles. I was really humbled this week when we tried to teach a man who had dozens and dozens of questions, and years and years of learning. While we talked with him, whenever we would give him an answer he would immediately as something else, searching for faults in our imperfect use of words... it seemed the longer we spoke the more excited he got, not really happy excited, but more of a friendly I'm-smarter-than-you-and-I-WILL-prove-it-but-hey-you're-God's-people-too-so-I'll-be-nice excited. It made me think of how the Savior taught the gospel, who we need to try to emulate as His set apart missionaries, and looking back, I'm a little surprised at my responses I gave to him. Being the Sister Lagrosa we all know and love, you know a lot of my imperfection comes from an inclination to argue (probably because it happens in my mind a lot), but I get pretty emotionally invested, especially when it is something I have sacrificed (metaphorical) blood, sweat, and tears, to learn for myself. Also, it's a little intimidating talking to a man who has preached to congregations larger than the number of people we meet in a single day! I know I've not received any formal religious training, but I know the gospel is simple. And I was surprised to realize, even though I was slightly more sobered in my mood, I had peace with me during and after our lesson.
This man asked us two questions that really stood out to me:
1- Why would they send you out when you don't know EVERYTHING about what you believe?
and 2- If what you are saying is true, that this is God's one true church in it's fullness, why are people rejecting it?

My answers came from some of my favorite passages of scripture
1- 1 Corinthians 2:9-16; Isaiah 28:13, 2 Nephi 28:30; John 14:26-27; John 15:16
2- Basically all of John chapters 14-15 but specifically John 15:17-22

It is simple our purpose as missionaries to help others come closer to Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel. It's not my good news that I'm sharing, it's the good news of Jesus Christ that we teach, and He will always qualify whom He calls. I have no doubt of my imperfection; however, I know that I don't know everything, I won't for a very, very, very long time. What I know is simple, and sure, it's peaceful, and it brings me closer to my Heavenly Father as I understand His love better. Jesus Christ did not call scholars of the law of Moses, or religious leaders of the time to be His disciples to share His gospel, He called the meek and lowly in heart, the humble ones who would rely on Him to be guided and not their own wisdom. I think sending young kids out here reflects that, even though we are stubborn, and and the height of "knowing it all", we are quicker to remember the help we've needed as we've grown to where we are. I know I am not the teacher, only a messenger, and it is the Spirit that teaches and helps us to remember the things that we already learned before we came to this earth to walk by faith.

As for his second question that stood out to me, it did seem unfair that this truth, not even just one truth, but the fullness of Christ's true gospel is so widely rejected. As I pondered in sacrament meeting yesterday about this a thought came to my head: It really doesn't make sense... it's too much to comprehend that this could possibly be true, there couldn't be one truth for everyone to agree on! After a deep exhale I felt my heart warm up. I knew deep down, without words, but I knew that there was something more than just "agreeing"... As I looked around the room and thought of some of the stories of these amazing, yet imperfect individuals I shared this space with... That's man's understanding Sister Lagrosa, you know better than that, and you know you won't find truth relying on that thinking alone.

This thought sobered me up, I'm grateful for the trails of faith we face, from the shorter ones in our minds to the longer ones that take some time to overcome... It's incomprehensible to imagine how the Lord could have this hard-headed stubborn missionary out here to teach anything... but as Isaiah wrote (55:8-11) His ways are higher than ours... and nothing that goes forth from His mouth will return to Him void.

I know Who called me to serve here, and I know Who gives me all the strength and energy I need to do so... it's a little scary to realize the amount of humility needed as we wield the power of the Spirit out here.

My Heavenly Father loves me. Those 5 words are what brought me to understand the importance of the message we share, it is all simple, and the fullness of the truth always and forever will return to that simple statement.

I love you each, and I'll leave you with a little challenge this week to reaffirm Heavenly Father's love for you... if you need some help, I'm sure there's a couple of kids wearing black badges that would be happy to give you some inspiration.

I love you each so so much, and I hope you have an incredible week! :D

With all of my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa

Pictures:

1- Sister Carroll made me LOL when I found this in the phone! We decided to have 5K Friday this transfer, and we both aren't the best at running, but she hates it ahahahaa, I need it though :P

2-  We destroyed some concreted and moved a lot of wood this week! I got to put my AWESOME 3-dollar boots to work! :D

3- Awesome Sister Missionary picture huh? :)
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment