Monday, October 7, 2013

"I Always Wanted To Read That Book!" - October 7, 2013

Hello family and friends!!
 
The seasons are changing here in West Texas! Surprise! It gets cold! Also, I think my wardrobe is improving as a missionary, aside from the fact that I'm in a skirt every day, I bought a cute scarf today! Yep. I said cute, I know you're proud mom ;) Also, this week I've had more actual Mexicans think I was Mexican than I've ever had in my life! It was flattering, and I'm kinda bummed winter is going to start soon, and all my brown from knockin' is going to turn white again (which I guess works, so my 1/2 Filipino shows half the year and my 1/2 white side shows the other half :P) 
 
I guess the most amazing thing about this week, was general conference! I had some of the things I feel like I've known or learned before just sink deeper into my heart. Of all of the amazing talks, I really really enjoyed Elder Maynes' talk about facing challenges in our lives--some for a short time, and some for our life-time. Followed by Elder Scott's talk about weaknesses verses "open rebellion against God". It sunk into my heart how the trials that we are blessed to grow from in our lives are kind of like the friends that we are blessed to have in our lives: some are here for a day, a month, a year, or a lifetime, but all are there for a reason. Coupled with Elder Scott's counsel about how our loving Heavenly Father truly does know our hearts, and our weaknesses and imperfections. He doesn't hold us accountable for anything that we have not yet learned, and  He knows the difference between us struggling though trying to be obedient, versus completely disregarding His laws.
 
It reminded me of Proverbs 16:3 --> if we can consecrate our works to the Lord, He will establish our thoughts. As we try our hardest to follow Him, knowing that all we are experiencing in our lives-good AND bad- we allow ourselves to be changed and molded by Him. How great is that message!?! I just love that we are able in our time to not only study the great counsel and words from ancient prophets in the scriptures, but we have a living prophet and apostles today who are able to give us specific guidance for our time, in how we can find happiness in this life and the next. 
 
I also love that we don't have to take anyone's word at face value for it's truthfulness. We get to ask our Heavenly Father to know if it's true, study the talks that were given and receive a witness for ourselves from the Holy Ghost. As Rickey said about President Monson when he talked about his late wife: "What a powerful speaker for a white man!" You can feel the power, because he spoke with truth and with love.
 
And of course they talked a lot about missionary work! I'm excited for the work to continue to move forward, and have everyone hear more about the gospel, and hopefully want to learn more about it too! As a missionary, them talking about missionaries was just really exciting, and I realized more than ever how I need to let this experience that I'm having now change me forever. I know that the things I need to do to be happy aren't great, they are small. Small steps like personal scripture study and prayer every day, achievable goals to look forward to, and going to church every week to renew the promises I've made to God. Which also reminds me of this amazing scripture I rediscovered this week in Romans 15:4 (about reading the scriptures) - "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." The patience part is the difficult part, but hope comes from God's word! :D
 
I love the gospel and I love the simplicity of it in this world that is so complex. I love that God's requirement of us is so simple, yet we are able to grow infinitely, and all that is required of us to start is faith. Faith that He is there, faith that He loves us, and faith that He will lead us in the direction that will bring eternal happiness. :D
 
I love you!
 
~Sister Lagrosa
p.s. The quote is from an amazing woman, Sheila, we met this week, who immediately hugged us and invited us into her home. She said that (the quote in the title) when we gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon and explained how it is another testament of Jesus Christ. We have another appointment with her tomorrow, so we'll see where that goes!

also, pictures!
1- We went to the Petroleum Museum on Monday! And found this awesome trash can.
2- There was a fun exhibit with race cars.
3- All the sisters in Midland! (we did learn how pumpjacks work... and a lot more about oil, but sadly I've forgotten a lot of it, good thing y'all have internet to check it out for yourselves :P)
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment