Wednesday, May 7, 2014

"Have you heard of the Restored Gospel?" - April 28, 2014

Howdy there family and friends!
 
...well, get excited! It's been another crazy week, and it's going to get even crazier!
 
We finally got into a good groove, and accepted the fact that we'd be covering two wards, and balancing all the craziness. We were really excited! And then we got a call last night, and sadly Sister Jones is leaving 1st ward. But good news! Her companion is finally coming out from the MTC! But the crazy news is that Sister Savage is also leaving 1st ward, and we don't know who is coming in, and Sister Savage doesn't know where she's going! I'm pretty sure this has been the most confused 3 weeks of my life haha, and I really didn't think it could get any crazier, and it does. So I don't know who my new companion is going to be, but I think only one sister is coming in, and I do know for a fact that I am staying here... hopefully for a little bit longer than 3 weeks!
 
I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father's just given me an opportunity to strengthen the realization I had last week that I can do this, no matter what. And, honestly, amongst all the seemingly chaotic events, there has been order, and in the crazy stress and anxiety there has been peace. I'm now more confident than ever that I'm supposed to be here in Midland, of all places in the TLM, and I know in my heart and my mind that this is the Lord's work. I'm grateful that I am able to use His strength and that I don't have to rely on my own, because, wow, I'd have been a gonner from the beginning. haha
 
But, many mighty miracles have come our way this week! We were able to have two investigators at church yesterday, who stayed for all three hours! (I'm pretty sure we were the only ones there for 6 lol. But it was great, and I learned SO much!
 
Also, we've been able to have better conversations with people that we just get to randomly meet. Even though it's been a struggle making time to find people that don't run in the other direction when they see our nametags, we've been able to teach the restoration while street-contacting. It's been wonderful! Almost everyone down here loves Jesus, and when we talk to them about Him, and His gospel, I think they see us more as who we are as representatives of Him, instead of weird girls in skirts with nametags. It's amazing to realize at the end of a 5-10 minute interaction that 1- people are receiving our message, even though we seem like kids to them! and 2- that the reason they are listening is because the Spirit is there, and it's strong and we really aren't the true teachers out here, but our words carry light and truth, and that is what teaches and feeds the soul.
 
It's wonderful to feel this hunger for the truth and the gospel... a deeper understanding of my Savior's Atonement and my Heavenly Father's love. And it's amazing to recognize that hunger and know where I can be fed, reading the scriptures, praying, going to church, recognize blessings from keeping the commandments--all simple things that are so deeply affecting. I know I have a lot of questions, that just like my faith, are going to be answered and built over time, as I do my best to fill my eternal potential... I thought about it this week in an analogy to getting sleep:

If I don't sleep it feels like I have more time to do things I want, but I'm not nearly as effective in a long-term situation, a week, a month, etc. But, in a one-or-two day perspective, sleep isn't important.
 
If I don't live the gospel, and spiritually feed myself, I have more time to do things that may be beneficial to me in the short term, but where would I be in eternity right?
 
I mean it doesn't make life easier, but it makes it make more sense, and I feel strengthened and confident in Who I know my strength comes from. Sister Jones reminded me last night of a quote by Elder Holland (on missionary work, and this is slightly paraphrased): "Why would this work be easy? It wasn't for Him. Christ did not come to earth to make the path easy, He came to make it possible..."
 
He came to make it possible!
 
To me... that means everything. All the progress that I am privileged to see in myself, and others... it's all possible because of Jesus Christ. I learned from a young age that nothing worth while in life would ever come without a cost. I'm starting to understand now the cost of eternal life. I am grateful that Jesus Christ makes it possible for me to have hope, and He is the perfect example for me, and He already paid the price for me. The way isn't easy, but it is possible!
 
2 Nephi 10:14 "...I, the Lord, the king of heaven, will be their king, and I will be a light unto them forever, that hear my words."
 
He is the light on our path, and I know as we hear the words of Christ, physically and spiritually, we are led to action, we do change, and it is evident in our lives. There is peace in the chaos, love in the hate, and light in the darkness. How do we know with surety? Because of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
 
That, my friends is amazing.
 
I'll be sure to let you know who my new companion is next week! Get excited. I hope you find that peace in your lives this week! (Especially as you're turning 50 dad! ;) ) If you see some well-dressed kids with black name tags walking around, ask them how the restored gospel can bless your life. :)
 
Know that I love you all! God is great!
 
All my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa
 
p.s. Hopefully there will be pictures next week!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment