Tuesday, May 13, 2014

"It's His good news that we bring!" - May 11, 2014

"As we labor gladly bringing souls to Christ!"
(Sister Kramer, Tanya [the reason I'm here in Midland], and Me :D)
Howdy howdy family and friends!
 
This week was truly amazing! So much happened! We were blessed to have an extra special day celebrating our mothers, and speaking with our families, our little group of missionaries here in Midland were able to got to the temple, and Tanya was baptized on Saturday, and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Mother's day yesterday!
 
I feel so blessed to have been able to meet this amazing woman, who has really overcome so much, and has been such an amazing example of how we are not only saved by Christ's grace, but we are changed by it. No number of words could describe how pure and giving her heart is, and I know that she is going to just continue to bless SO many people's lives here in Midland! She told me yesterday: "I will always be here for you when you fall. Now, it doesn't mean you're not grounded, but I'll be here for you!" Tanya is such a wonderful example!
 
We were so blessed to be able to go to the temple this week also! I learned a lot, and as we were pondering some questions I had, I was reading the scriptures in Spanish, and received an answer! Now, I don't know Spanish, and the English scriptures were being read by some other missionaries, but it was so amazing to realize just a little bit deeper that spiritual truths are learned spiritually, and even though I only understood a few of the words that were written, I was still able to receive direction... that is truly amazing.
 
Another blessing from attending the temple is that I was able to see Sister Sears, from Hobbs (my last area), and it was just so wonderful! I knew she worked in the temple on Thursdays before I went up there, and it was just really amazing to be able to see her!
 


So we've been doing a lot of finding lately, just trying to find new people to teach, and there are some really rich people up here! There was a mansion with this awesome lion in front of it that we had to get a picture with. :)
 
We've decided that we are going to take out some of the laurels (girls 16+) with us each week to show them a little more about what missionary work is like, and when we went to their class yesterday to get some of their times for availability, one of the sisters said "I'm basically free all day, every day! Call ME!!!" It was really funny, and amazing, I love the alacrity of the members here, and their desire to share the restored gospel. :)
 
Some fun things about missionary work this week:
1) We've been making good use of the crock pot, and made some amazing bbq chicken!
2) We mostly just study or sleep when we are at home, and we realized that our apartment has developed horizontal surface disorder (any horizontal surface ends up messy!)
3) Sister Kramer is my first companion that didn't really grow up in the church, and I'm her first also, so it's really funny when people are talking about primary songs, or some organizational things that we're both still learning we look at each other and shrug, then laugh. It's pretty much the best. :P
One last thing before I'm out for this week:
I was reading in the last chapter of Luke while reflecting on Christ's Atonement and Resurrection during sacrament meeting, and These verses stood out to me:
Luke 24:30-33
(30) And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. (31) And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight. (32) And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
 
It just reminded me of John 14: 26-27 when Christ promises that the Holy Ghost will testify of the things He spoke to them and bring all things which He taught to their remembrance. We really do need to learn truth not only with logic, but with the confirmation of the Spirit.
 
Isn't the gospel such good news!?!?!
 
It is indeed! :)
 
I love you with all of my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagros

No comments:

Post a Comment