Thursday, July 31, 2014

"Sarah and Mable!" - July 28, 2014

Howdy howdy family and friends!

So, this was one very, very exciting week of life here in the TLM!
Funny stories of the week:
1st: Our fine friends at Jack Jordan's (the BBQ place in Odessa) loved the thank-you picture/card we gave them to put on their wall, and some of the employees were guessing our first names! They decided that Sister Hoover was Sarah, and I'm Mable! haha, so now whenever we are role-playing random situations, and need to use different names, we're Sarah and Mable! haha

2nd: We've been doing a lot of finding lately, and we thought it'd be a good idea to just drop by some member's houses when we were in the neighborhood to remind them how awesome missionary work, and their missionaries are, and we found the greatest doormat ever! (it also explains the general consensus of how people feel when we knock on their doors, but the Lord's work still continues forward!)


Also, Bryan, who I talked a little about last week! He got baptized yesterday, and it was so good! We found some awesome jumpsuits with collars, so we had to take a popped collar pic :P I've never before met someone so prepared to receive the gospel, or with SO much support, and encouragement! This kid is truly amazing! He's already been such a positive influence on so many people, I can't wait to see the awesome things that he's going to do!


And sadly, I didn't take too many pictures this week, but hey, life is good :)

Another miracle that we had this week, was we taught a lesson with Daan at Tanya's apartment! It turns out they are neighbors, in the same building, and Tanya was just so excited to have the lesson, and it went really great! Something I realized at the beginning of the lesson, when we were talking about how he liked church, is that Mormons are pretty friendly, and I guess in most other churches you go in, and leave, and no one really notices? ...I don't know much, but Daan said: "I'm used to just slipping in and sitting in the back, there's not really any discussion at all, and getting out. Everyone was involved there, it was interesting, I didn't know how I felt about it. But as I thought about it more through the week, I thought... maybe that's how church should be!"
It was really amazing, and we had a great lesson about faith and repentance, as it helps us to prepare to be baptized. :)

And the closing thought for this week comes from our gospel principles class in 1st ward this week: WORK! I got really excited, because I was thinking about how increased faith in Jesus Christ leads to increased good works, because of the changes we are able to go through with the Atonement... but then, we read together in Exodus 20:9, and I thought to myself, how does it talk about work in the ten commandments???
​It never stood out to me before that when the Lord commanded us to keep the Sabbath Day Holy, He specifically said that we much LABOUR six days, before our rest on the 7th! Interesting thought huh? Don't you just love the gospel?

I sure do!

Well, I hope that your next 6 days of labour are wonderful! And, next week there will be more adventures of missionary work in the TLM! The church is true! That's why I get up at 6:30 and wear a skirt every day! :P

I love you all, keep looking for the Lord's hand in your life!
With all my heart,
Sister Heather Ann Lagrosa

p.s. My old testament reading is in Psalms now, so I think the poet inside of me came out a little the past week, here's a little something (kind of rough, but all from the heart):

​O Lord, my God I come to Thee
In mighty prayer on weary knee.
In search of answers, Lord hear my plea,
I ask not why Thou hast forsaken me.
I know that Thou art,
That the veil keeps us apart,
That Thou wilst hear each prayer I start,
And that Thou wouldst heal this broken heart.
I find in gratitude I pray.
On Thy side I'd like to stay,
But I feel forgotten, I've lost my way,
My Father God, would you help me today?
I know Thou hast in past grief,
I know I have gained relief,
I feel my faith taken by a thief,
And ask Thee, Father to help mine unbelief.

I've come to battle in coat of skin,
Protected from a world of sin,
I ask Thee now to be shod
With the full armor of my God
Be Thou my vision Lord I ask,
Where can I begin with Thy task?
Wilt Thou help me to understand
How I may obey Thy command?
Lead and guide me please my Lord,
I seek Thy Spirit as my sword.
Help me for Heavenly treasure seek,
I know in Thy strength, I'm not weak.
Lord, Please hear my humble cry,
Help me in Thy strength to try,
And help me with this life I live,
And learn my everything to give.

Oh Lord, my God I feel preserved
I may find answer in Thy Word,
Please help me to feel my heart stirred
And through Thy Spirit rest assured.
I'm grateful, Father for Thy Son,
My Savior, Thine Only Begotten,
In His help I've many changes won,
And in His strength, Thy work I've done.
I know Thy plan in divine
A great debt of gratitude is mine,
With my Savior and some growing time,
With Thy Glory I can hope to again shine.
Father I ask Thee as I did then,
To help me learn and be a friend
When off my knees I begin again,
In the name of Thy Son, my Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment